Logo


BackHomePart 4

 

This is where rhinocad came in. Its a very powerful 3d modelling software - not that I know how to use it!

Sadly I never took any screenshots of this process but to describe what went on.

The frame was transferred over to Rhino, and the same lofting was performed. The difference with Rhino is that it features the 'unroll' command which will take the curved plank and transform it into a 2d object. The main issue I had here was that I had no stern in which to loft to and as a result the back of the boat was flat upto the last frame. I searched high and low for some sort of method or command which would extend each plank a set distance based on its trend if that makes sense. From there a stern could be drawn up and notched to suit. To this day I have never found it so if anyone out there is good with Rhino or 3d modelling then please get in touch!

Regardless I continued on with the Rhino lofting and when finished, I compared the unrolled planks to the automatically unrolled planks from freeship by overlaying them ontop of each other. They were remarkably close, so close I decided to use the freeship versions. Obviously they didnt have the slight overlap needed. I added this through offsetting the bottom of the planks and plugging the gap created with a polyline.

I then sent the drawings and £90 off to Kim Maclean at Clyde Model Boats who also offers waterjet and laser cutting. This was around november time 2012. To cut a long story short, I'm still waiting for the parts! Avoid him and his 'services' at all costs. I know a few who have fell foul to his appauling service and lies.

It was mid 2014 and I decided to try and get this project going again as I was desperate to find out if my CAD work was upto the job. I sent the drawings off to Slec UK who sell material aswell as offering CNC cutting.

I got the parts back pretty quickly and credit to them, the waterjetting is exceptional.

Let's start the build then shall we...

The ram plank being slid under the stem as described earlier.

Care was taken to ensure the stem was perfectly centered. It was then glued to the ram plank. It became apparent that I needed somewhere for the clamps to be able to secure to and as a result some pretty crude holes were drilled.

The time i've been waiting for. As a note, all planks were soaked in hot water for around 5 minutes before they were applied to the frame. They became very soft and almost like putty helping massively. The first plank was installed while wet and clamped in place.

When the plank was fully dry, around an hour later, the clamps were removed and the managed to hold the shape they had been forced into. Glue could now be applied. Remember, they aren't being glued to the notches, only each other.

Time for the second plank. It's a fair slow process and it's something I kept coming back to at various stages of the day.

Couldn't resist taking the boat off to see the shape of the first planks. They look just like the real boat.

 

 

BackPart 4

©Dan Walker