Logo


BackHomePart 2

 

I saw this and thought 'I gota build it'. Theres one supplier of this kit in the UK and it's pretty pricey. I then decided to go on the hunt for a cheaper one and suprise suprise, I ended up on ebay. I won the kit for £18 or so and the shipping was a further £15 - still cheaper than the UK supplier without postage. The kit, sold as 'new', arrived from america a week or so later. After an inital inspection of the kit, it appeared that it wasn't 'new' as it had already been opened and some of the parts had been removed from the frames that they normally come on. However all parts appeared to be there. The kit sat under my bed for a few months until now as i've been busy building the Waveney Lifeboat kit and concentrating on my musical hobbies. I thought i'd have a break from it and free up some space under the bed so here goes...

I built the kit over several non-consecutive days but got a good bulk of the kit finished at my mates one evening with help of alcohol, an over the top array of tools and a dog stealing the parts...

The kit as it was opened for the initial inspection.

First on the list was to assemble the crankshaft. The parts were removed from they're frames and the rough bits cleaned up with a knife.

The parts were then assembled, double checked and glued together.

The assembled crank was then secured to the main frame block and grease applied to the areas needed. The grease I am using in the build is Graupner shaft grease, normally used for model boat prop shafts.

A closer look at the bearing caps which secures to crank to the main frame block using screws.

It was then time to glue the two piston halfs together and secure them to the rods with use of wrist pins. This is where things started to go wrong. I noticed that one of the wrist pins wasn't there. After searching and searching, I gaved up and decided to make one out of some scrap plastic. I filed it to shape and it worked. You will notice my pin as its the only black one there.

A closer look. Also at this point, the cylinder blocks were added ready for the cylinder walls.

The cylinder walls were then added.

The cam shaft was then installed. This also shows the cylinder walls in more detail.

The oil pan/sump was then added. At this point, both the front and rear block ends were added.

The starter motor was then installed.

The flywheel and converter housing were assembled and installed onto the engine.

The bell housing was then installed. The rear engine mount and engine backing plate attached to the housing.

The engine was then seated on it's stand and the handle installed.

The dog then started stealing the parts and trying to eat them..

The next job was to tackle the exhaust and intake assembly. These are made up from two sections which were plastic welded together.

The cylinder head is in two parts, the main cylinder head and the head cap. These were again plastic welded together.

The bearing caps were then plastic welded onto the cylinder head.

These are the valve stems.

The stems were inserted through the springs which were then inserted into the cylinder head. A pencil was then taped over the stems to compress the springs.

This then allowed the valves themselves to be plastic welded onto the stems.

The valves are now connected to the stems.

 

 

BackPart 2

©Dan Walker