Logo


BackHomePart 2

 

First Things First

The first thing I did was to study the plans and read the build instruction manual from start to finish a number of times to familiarise with them. There are 2 different plans with the kit and all show every component atleast once. The plans aren't drawn to scale however, I didn't find this an issue. I plan to make the build my own as such in the way of deciding my own colour scheme for the tug. She will be build the same as the Wyeforce, just with a few little modifications and a different name - the 'FAT-KAT'.

Starting The Build

First job was to make a stand for the tug. Model Slipway have provided a template to make the stand from. This is to ensure you match the profile of the hull. The stand was made from 6mm ply. The instructions say to make it from 10mm ply but I needed thinner material for internals of the tug and couldn't justify buying a large sheet of 10mm and wasting it. Some 12mm by 12mm square wood was also used.

Marking up of the stand with use of the templates.

The ends of the stand were cut out using a jigsaw.

Stand glued together with wood glue and left to dry overnight. Some window draft proofing foam was then stuck to the stand to soften it, so when painted, the model can't be scratched.

And finally, the boat on its new stand.

The next job was to remove the moulding lines from the hull. This was done using 100 grit sandpaper. There are some small areas which need filling, this will be done a bit later in the build.

Next, the hull could be marked up in order to locate the postion of the holes needed, in order to install the running gear. The old 'measure twice & cut once' should be put into practice. I chain drilled most of the openings using a 2mm drill bit and then filed to shape.

Heres the Rudder assembley, 'A'-Frames and Kort supports. They are all made of white metal bar the rudder shafts which are made of stainless steel. The components needed to be tidyed up, this is the same with all white metal fittings. I must say that the Model Slipway fittings are the neatest i've seen so far.

Mock-up stage for the running gear. I literally spent a whole day adjusting and then re-assembling the running gear. There disc in the Kort, is a 64mm diameter circle to ensure the Kort is in line with the prop shaft. This will make sure the propeller sits perfectly central in the Kort.

Mock-up now with the rudder blades in place.

The small section of the 'A' Frames which go inside the hull are secured with these pins. These were bent using 1.5mm brass rod. They really aid the build somewhat as there would be a lot of loose parts otherwise, which would be a nightmare. Such a simple idea solves so many issues.

 

 

BackPart 2

©Dan Walker