Logo


BackHomePart 2

 

Starting The Build

 

Around two years ago, I thought I would try something new. New in the way of Airfix type aircraft model kits. I built a couple of kits (you will see these later) and felt I needed something diorama like to house them.

I noticed a build of this on another forum and decided to give one a go myself, given that I have space to accommodate it.

The hangar is from GPM and is available in a few scales.

The kit is laser cut cardboard.

Firstly, here are the parts sheets:

We then start cutting out the parts, starting with the roof. The general construction of the sheets appears to be a 3 ply system with card in the middle and a thin paper on each side. The laser cutter annoying hasn't quite managed to make it all the way through the card as I had to run the knife over every part in order to remove it in a clean way from the sheet.

The two halves of the roof frames where glued together using PVA (the same throughout the build)

After a lot of repetition the roof framing was assembled.

The kit is not perfect, the two interlocking halves where the roof frames meet the perpendicular frames have been miscalculated. So car must be taken to glue the interlocking sections on a flat surface.

I decided to add further support to the centre and outer ends of the roof. This has firmed everything up. They we made from offcuts of parts sheet.

With the roof framing largely complete, I decided to spend the drying time cutting out all of the other parts required and cleaning them up.

As I wanted to make a reasonably big diorama, I obviously needed a decent sized base board. I bought a sheet of 15mm thick 1220mm x 610mm MDF. I will probably trim about 200mm off the length.

I then began to work out spacing (still don't have a clue where to put things) and started to glue the hangar floor onto the MDF.

The hangar floor has now been glued in place.

Here is a preview of the roof framing and floor.

As for concrete colour for the floor, I was thinking of XF-54 with a splash of the flory models concrete wash.

Attention could now be turned to joining the half sections of the corrugated front and rear of the hangar. Again this was done using PVA.

There was a significant gap on the back of the halves which were glued together using a bit of paper. This has given the join quite a lot of strength.

 

 

BackPart 2

©Dan Walker

body>