Logo


BackHome

 

Decided to add a further lifting eye on each side of the anchor. This is a 2mm hole with an M2 washer used to simulate a support pad.

If the anchor was hauled up using the two forward lifting holes, usually a splitter of some kind would be used. I decided to make a triangle plate. This is 2mm plasticard with 2mm holes and M2 washers.

Scale wise its a 250 ton plate. The top hole would be connected to the winch and the other two connected to each side of the anchor. The plate has now been painted and is complete. A quick 20 minute job.

The tri plate then had some dirt and weathering added. I use Tamiya weathering powders.

Some M2 bolts were cut to length. These will be the locking pins.

The chasers neck has been cut to length and tidied up. Next stage is paint.

After days of thinking about the best way to weather the anchor, I deciced to bite the bullet and just see what the end outcome is. Most new steel I have seen has a coat of red oxide etch primer on to protect it from the elements. I decided this would be the good base on which to start. Halfords red primer was used.

If are under the age of 18, or have small children, make sure yours and their eyes are covered before scrolling down to the next photograph.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This is the end result of the 'weathering'. I think it looks absolutely dreadful and I feel almost embarrassed to show it. The finish makes or breaks a job, in this case its broken it. Ok its not the end of the world, I can wash off the weathering and repaint but weathering is just something I can't do.

I was aiming for something like this:

The chaser has had a coat of white primer and dirtied up a little. The flash on the camera hides a lot of it. A small shackle and chain have been added also.

And finally the anchor and chaser together as it would appear on deck having been hauled.

 

 

Back

©Dan Walker